Social wellness refers to attending to relationships with family and friends (and yourself) that provide a sense of meaningful connection, belonging, and trust.
Know: What is Social Wellness?
Social wellness involves spending time both developing new relationships and maintaining and strengthening established relationships. It also includes attending to your relationship with yourself. Your love, trust, and respect for yourself helps you build better relationships with others. Support systems can vary in size and may include family and friends with whom you have reciprocal, authentic, and respectful relationships. These support systems provide a sense of encouragement for healthy decision-making and belonging in a community based on shared values. Social wellness also involves an openness to diverse perspectives and positive interactions with others.
Do: The Path to Social Wellness
- Explore different activities and communities on campus: attend events and join clubs of interest
- Reach out to family and friends that you have an established relationship with to let them know you are thinking about them
- Talk to people you see on campus to get to know them
- Seek a community with shared interests and diverse backgrounds to learn from
- Ask for others' opinions
- Provide support and encouragement for those around you
- Be honest, respectful, and nonjudgmental in your communication with others
Seek: Resources for Social Wellness
- Clubs and Events on the Nest: Provides details on student organizations and events happening at Catholic University.
- Office of Campus Activities: Provides resources for student organizations, student events, leadership opportunities, orientation, and more.
- Center for Cultural Engagement: Provides students with the tools to navigate the various forms of their ever-developing identities, embrace themselves as they are, and foster belonging among all students.
- Family Weekend: Provides information about Family Weekend including the schedule of events, parents council, registration, and hotel suggestions.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills - Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Tools: Provides resources, tools, and articles focused on DBT.
- How to Make Friends in College: Provides advice on how to make new friends and where to find friends in college.