Signs of Alcohol Poisoning
If you are ever in a situation where someone might need medical attention Catholic University wants you to be prepared and know your resources.
CUSP is a helpful acronym to help identify possible alcohol poisoning:
- C - Cold, clammy skin
- U - Unconsciousness
- S - Slowed or irregular breathing
- P - Puking, particularly while passed out
Only one of these symptoms needs to be present for alcohol poisoning.
What should you do if you suspect someone is suffering from alcohol poisoning?
- If on campus call DPS at 202-319-5111; if off campus call 911
- While waiting for help, turn the intoxicated person on their side and maintain that position by placing a pillow in the small of the person's back. This is important to prevent choking should the person vomit.
- Stay with the person until medical help arrives.